Not again! I can’t believe I have another sinus infection along with a flu. I had one for the entire friggin’ month of January. I’m on my 3rd day of antibiotics. They knocked out most of the symptoms, but I still have a stuffy nose, a dry cough, and the red spots in the middle on the bottom of my inner lower eyelids.
I did everything right in February: ate right, exercised almost daily, got enough sleep, took vitamins. I gained about 10 pounds in muscle mass in Feb, and now at the beginning of March, I find myself back in bed. For two days I had a fever, sore throat, was coughing up dark phelm, and had pain behind my eyes. The Azithromycin Z-pack fixed that. I hope this is not the same bug I had before, because I can’t take another entire month off of work. Right now I’m using a vacation day to stay home sick. So, obviously, I’m reading everything I can about how to fight and avoid the flu:
– Wash hands frequently
– Wash all bed linens used while fighting the flu bug or cold
– Keep a cold- and flu-free kitchen
– Air the room with fresh air
– Eat a well-balanced healthy diet
– Get plenty of fluids, particularly soup
– Chicken soup seems to contain antibiotic properties.
– Dark grape juice, which contains tannins, is supposed to help kill off viruses.
As far as vitamins, there are guidelines, but they depend on the rest of your diet, your genetics, and other factors.
– Vitamin D (250 to 10000 IU/day) (one report said people getting 2,000 units per day did not get the flu)
– Antiviral drugs can be offered to anyone who wants to avoid and/or treat the flu.
– Get a flu shot ( FluMist, a nasal flu vaccine, is now available for healthy people between the ages of 2 and 49.)
… more later.
What do you do, to avoid the flu?