Here are my personal picks for the best free software (PC and Mac):
Free Software Mangement
For the latest software in packages with updates, try these awesome sites. They will let you keep your software, including most of my favorites below and more, updated.
- Audacity – Edit sound files
- AP Tuner – tune your guitar with your computer’s microphone.
- Weird Metronome – small and flexible tool.
- LibreOffice – Free version of Microsoft Office. Recommended by me over OpenOffice which keeps crashing.
- VLC media player – views most videos and plays most music without ads.
- TrueCrypt – info about it being insecure may be a lie. no backdoors found in recent audit.
- Spybot Search and Destroy – remove spyware
- Avast Anti-virus
- Revo Uninstaller – deeply remove programs you no longer want
- 7-zip – expand and compact files, put multiple files into one container for emailing.
- Sumatra PDF – Small open source PDF reader.
- FoxIt Reader – read PDFs without all the Adobe spyware. Are they starting to charge? Is this a trial version? If so, I’ll look for some other free reader.
The above are or were some of my favorites. Some great software gets worse over time, ads spam, stops working, etc. Be sure to scan for malware. Here are a few lists you can check for other great free software.