I want something I can’t find on the net: a visual interactive map of human problems and where we are along the various paths to solutions. I want everyone to be able to interact with it, add to it, vote on it. We have all this information, so organize it. Who can help? Google? I want to zoom in on a problem to see the edge technology with details explained so anyone could understand it.
As far as the problems we face, here is one interesting list, The Grand Challenges for Engineering as determined by a committee of the National Academy of Engineering.
- Make solar energy economical
- Provide energy from fusion
- Develop carbon sequestration methods
- Manage the nitrogen cycle
- Provide access to clean water
- Restore and improve urban infrastructure
- Advance health informatics
- Engineer better medicines
- Reverse-engineer the brain
- Prevent nuclear terror
- Secure cyberspace
- Enhance virtual reality
- Advance personalized learning
- Engineer the tools of scientific discovery
Find out what committee members said about the challenges at the news conference where they were unveiled.
Health, wealth (allocation) and wisdom (education) seem to be good general categories.
Will we ever work together to make all of our lives better? I hope so.