This is an amusing mixture of weirdness. I found the end interesting. A religious friend of mine also does not believe in evolution. The basic argument is this: I’ve never seen one species become another species, therefore, such a thing does not exist.
The correct scientific answer is: Many things exist that you have never seen. My underpants, for example.
The longer version:
– Many things exist now which took millions of years to form, the grand canyon, for example. (6 to 17 million years or more)
– The fossil record is sparse because the conditions to make fossils rarely occur. Most bones vanish completely. Still, we do have an amazing fossil record which shows transitional species. Check out the extinct mammal-like reptiles, for example. More reptile to mammal transitional species here.
– The vast majority of species which have existed on the Earth are now extinct.
– Scientists have seen new species occur.
– The Earth, according to the geologic record is 4.54 billion years old.
– For eight hundred million years, nothing happened.
– Fossils shows that life started simply 3.65 billion years ago and got more complex with time. (Most likely, a comet brought organic material … seeds from outer space. See panspermia.)
– Three and a half billion years is an INCREDIBLY long time. You can’t even begin to grasp how long a MILLION years is. We are talking about a million years … three thousand six hundred times.
– It has only been 200,000 years since humans started looking like they do today.
– The transitions of life are thus: simple cells, complex cells, multi cellular life, simple animals, arthropods (ancestors of insects, arachnids and crustaceans), complex animals (Cambrian explosion), fish and proto-amphibians, land plants, insects and seeds, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, flowers, dinosaurs died out, various human species.