Pakistan puts its army on high alert after a caller posing to be India’s foreign minister spoke to Asif Ali Zardari in a ‘threatening’ manner.
The call by a man identifying himself as Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee was put through to Pakistan’s President Asif Ali Zardari on Nov. 28, two days after the deadly Mumbai attacks, the Dawn newspaper said Saturday.
The caller told Zardai that India would take military action if Islamabad did not hand over the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks, the daily quoted security sources as saying.
Throughout the next 24 hours Pakistan Air Force was put on “highest alert” as the military watched anxiously for any sign of Indian attack, it noted.
The incident triggered a flurry of intense diplomatic activity with some world leaders fearing that India and Pakistan could slip into an accidental war.
Pakistani sources said the caller ID was a Delhi number, but Indian officials have said the number could have been manipulated. There is an ongoing investigation by both sides to determine who made the call.
The US and Indian intelligence reports suggested the Mumbai attacks were carried out by the Pakistan-based Kashmiri militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba. Pakistan denies any involvement in the Last week’s attacks that killed almost 200 people. -presstv
Some groups stand to make huge amounts of money if tensions between the two countries cause them each to buy more weapons. Have they each checked to see if some defense contractor in a major country is behind the attacks and hoaxes? With many lives of their respective peoples at stake, that possibility should be checked out.