According to local news reports, the man worked as a shop assistant at the store. An employee at a neighboring 7-11 convenience store told local media that she heard a loud bang and saw her colleague lying on the floor in a pool of blood. She said the man had recently swapped his mobile phone battery for a new one.
Police have not released the make or model of the phone. Some reports indicate the fatal explosion occurred at a Lenovo store in Guangzhou, China — although it’s not clear whether the shop was an official outlet or whether it just advertised Lenovo products.
Most reports of exploding handset batteries have involved low-quality third-party products, although that’s not always the case.
The South Korean man who was reportedly killed by an exploding cellphone battery, well, wasn’t. Apparently the damage to his lungs, heart, spine and ribs was too extensive to be caused by one measly cellphone. Still, he did have a melted phone in his breast pocket and they aren’t quite sure how exactly he got so messed up, but they’re pretty certain it wasn’t just his phone. Any hypotheses, super sleuths? [Yahoo News]