Diners Get Parasites From Eating Live Crabs

By | August 25, 2006

Diners Get Parasites From Eating Live Crabs

Health officials have issued another warning about lung infections from raw or undercooked freshwater crabs after diners at two more Orange County restaurants succumbed to parasites. Orange County health officials said four people have now been sickened after eating imported Sawagani crabs. No infections have been reported outside the county. The tiny Japanese river crabs can carry a parasite that migrates from the intestines to the lungs, causing lung fluke infection.

Symptoms include coughing, diarrhea and breathing difficulties. The owner of the sushi restaurants where the crabs were served said they’re usually deep-fried in tempura batter. But he said some were eaten live by diners who started a “Fear Factor” style tradition in which they reach into the sushi bar and devour live seafood as friends cheer them on.

I’d say this is Karma. We should have by now evolved past eating other animals while they are still alive. As a result, the parasites eat the humans alive who eat the crabs alive. Karma.

Leave a Reply