A man suffered internal burns when he tried to launch a rocket from his bottom on Bonfire Night. Paramedics found the 22-year-old bleeding, with a Black Cat Thunderbolt Rocket lodged inside him, when they attended the scene in Sunderland. He suffered a scorched colon and is now recovering in hospital, where his condition is described as stable. A spokesman for the North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) said the prank could have been fatal. Douglas McDougal, from the NEAS, said: “We received a call stating there was a male who had a firework in his bottom and it was bleeding.
“He sustained fairly significant injuries … There’s a lot of major blood vessels round that area, so infection would probably be a huge problem for him. And also the body naturally produces methane gas, so combine that with the firework and the exploding effect with methane’s flammability – it certainly could have been a lot worse than it really was.”
A spokesman for the Firework Association described the bizarre prank as “beyond belief”. He said: “We have spent a long time working with the government to create laws that make fireworks safer and better for the public. “This incident is very concerning but hopefully an isolated one.” – bbc