Astronaut’s alien claims fall short, says UFO researcher

By | August 2, 2008

A former NASA astronaut stunned the scientific world and divided UFO watchers when he claimed last week that UFOs and aliens do exist.

In 1971 during the Apollo 14 mission Edgar Mitchell became the sixth man to walk on the moon.

Thirty-seven years on he says he’s just one of a handful in the space community who has been briefed by US military and intelligence officials on the existence of aliens.

But UFO believers says these revelations may have done their cause more harm than good. Keith Basterfield is co-director of the Australian UFO research network and is author of several books on UFO sightings in Australia.

He says he believes Dr Mitchell may have damaged the work of serious scientific researchers into UFOs due to the former astronaut’s broad claims and his inability to source what he’s presenting as fact.

“Dr Mitchell declines to name the sources he is getting this information from,” Mr Basterfield says.

“It’s always an unnamed source, or a source close to the Minister of Defence. You cannot take that as evidence of fact.

“He’s making those statements, obviously he’s gone public with them, but there is always doubt that the sources he is talking to aren’t playing the disinformation game with him.” – abc

Someone is lying about aliens. Is the lie that they don’t exist, or that they do exist? I wonder if we will ever know for sure.

Leave a Reply