A WORKSOP air cadet chief had the biggest shock of his life on Sunday afternoon –- when he was struck by lightning during a violent, electric storm.
Lucky Eric Brocklebank escaped with just burns to his arm after he was hit by 300,000 volts of electricity on Sunday afternoon at a show at RAF Digby in Lincolnshire.
The drama unfolded as the 64-year-old chairman of Worksop Air Cadets was using a metal fork to move some sausages he was cooking with a group of cadets.
“It was like an implosion inside your body,” said Eric.
“The best way I can describe it is what it must be like to be a chicken in a microwave!”
“There was so much pressure inside of me and I couldn’t see properly –– I could just make out the faint outline of people heading my way.”
“It came in through my arm, which is burnt, then it must have gone down through my body and out through my feet. My shoes must have been soaking wet, but you wouldn’t know from looking at them — but my socks have got three nice holes in them.”
And Eric, who has been with Worksop Air Cadets for two years, says the only thought he had on his mind in the aftermath of the strike were the sausages he had been cooking.
“The cadets had gathered under a tree because of the rain and I ran over and said: ‘You can’t stay there’. I backed up the bus to the tree so I could get them to safety.
“I then went back to move the frankfurters out of the way by fishing them out with a prong — and that’s when I was hit,” he said.
“I was told the only thing I could say as I was drifting in and out of consciousness was ‘sausages’, which made them all laugh.”
Eric is now recovering at his Nether Langwith home after a two-day stay at a Lincolnshire hospital — but he says he owes his life to a man on call at the show .
“I woul like to thank Flight Lieutenant Daniel Withnal of 1265 Squadron for helping me and I will be recommending him for a commendation.”
“The first thing I remember properly is waking up on my back with my clothes cut off. I feel very lucky to be alive.”