AFP: India hands evidence on Mumbai attacks to Pakistan

By | January 5, 2009

AFP: India hands evidence on Mumbai attacks to Pakistan

India on Monday handed to Pakistan what it said was evidence linking the country to the Islamic militants who attacked Mumbai in November, India’s foreign minister announced.

The government also said it was launching a major diplomatic offensive to maintain international pressure on Islamabad, which has so far rejected New Delhi’s demands to extradite a list of terror suspects.

“We have today handed over to Pakistan evidence of the links with elements in Pakistan of the terrorists who attacked Mumbai on 26th November,” Pranab Mukherjee told reporters.

“What happened in Mumbai was an unpardonable crime. As far as the government of Pakistan is concerned, we ask only that it implement the bilateral commitments that it has made at the highest levels to India, and practises her international obligations,” he added.

Mukherjee’s deputy, Shivshankar Menon, passed the evidence to Pakistan’s high commissioner (ambassador) in New Delhi and later pointed a finger of blame at the country’s “establishment.”

“It’s hard to believe that something of this scale that took so long in preparation… could occur without anybody anywhere in the (Pakistan) establishment knowing,” he told reporters.

Islamabad confirmed that it had received the dossier, and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani again said he would take action if “credible evidence” was provided.

The material includes details of the interrogation of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman — also known as Mohammed Ajmal Kasab — who was the lone surviving gunman and who India says is a Pakistani national.

It also details the militants’ communications with “elements” in Pakistan during the attack, recovered weapons and other equipment, retrieved global positioning system data and satellite phones.

“It is our expectation that the government of Pakistan will promptly undertake further investigations in Pakistan and share the results with us so as to bring the perpetrators to justice,” Mukherjee said.

via AFP: India hands evidence on Mumbai attacks to Pakistan.

I was not aware of it at the time of the attacks, but an ex girlfriend from Sacramento, CA is visiting India and is in the area of Mubai.  Friends tell me she had booked a room for her mother at the hotel which was attacked and that she canceled the reservation afterward. I also understand that a movie theater she attended was destroyed by a terrorist bomb in a separate incident. We have not talked for a long time, but I hope she returns safely and that the situation is resolved peacefully by both governments.

Leave a Reply